The following is the recipe for “Washabinaros Chili”, we found it on All Recipes. It serves 8.
The startling parts of the recipe which always attract people’s attention when I describe it is the wasabi paste, the beer and the coffee.
The recipe is not difficult but takes time. The prepping can take 20-30 minutes, and the total cooking time is 3 hours. However it is worth the time.
- 4 tbl vegetable oil, divide
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 lb spicy Italian sausage, casing removed
- 14.5 oz peeled/diced tomatoes with juice
- 12 oz dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 14 oz beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbl ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblspn wasabi paste
- 45 oz kidney beans
- 2 Anaheim chili peppers, chopped
- 1 Serrano chili pepper, chopped
- 1 Habenero pepper, sliced
- Place 2 tblsp oil in large pot over medium heat
- Cook & stir onions, garlic, beef & sausage until meats are tender
- Pour in tomatoes, coffee, beer, tomato paste & broth
- Season with chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, cayenne, coriander, salt & wasabi.
- Stir in 1/3 of the beans, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining oil.
- Cook the chilies in the oil until just tender, 5-10 min.
- Add peppers to pot and simmer 2 hours.
- Add remaining beans & cook for additional 45 minutes.
We use mostly Chipolte chili powder in this recipe, it really adds a great taste and kick.
Also pick a good dark beer, a really ‘chewy’ stout. The last time I made it I used Babayaga Stout by Pretty Things. Of course enjoy the rest of the bottle while cooking.